Frontend Developer - Internship
Full-time, 10-week Internship based in Christchurch, NZ
At Komodo, we are on a mission to ensure every school is a place in which everyone thrives. We work with the most inspiring schools across the globe to enable them with a wellbeing-first approach. Our goal is to provide schools with the most innovative wellbeing solutions, help them implement the best mental health practices and support students on their wellbeing journey. Our software offers clear, actionable insights into student wellbeing, enabling staff to make positive and proactive interventions. Our data-driven platform also empowers students by promoting their voice and providing them with a safe place to request assistance from their trusted staff. The work we do daily, whether it be the code we write, the customer support we provide or the psychological science embedded within our product, it all goes towards preventing a child from being bullied, highlighting someone in need of academic help or making a school a safer, happier place for all. This is what drives us.
As part of the team, you will be required to:
- Collaborate with the team to build an excellent web application;
- Write clean and maintainable code that follows best practices;
- Maintain the existing product to improve the existing codebase;
- Take over responsibilities in the application as an active member of the team.
We are flexible regarding your recent experience as we understand you might have limited practical experience at this stage.
To apply for the role, you must have the following previous experience:
- Solid understanding of HTML, CSS and low-level web UI development;
- Practical experience with a modern frontend framework (React or Vue preferably);
- Knowledge of how to query a RESTful API.
It is beneficial (but not essential) for you to already have had experience with:
- TypeScript (React + TypeScript experience would be perfect as it is part of our tech stack)
- GraphQL (or at least the understanding of how it works and how to query a GraphQL API)
The best way to show this to us is with an academic or side project you worked on.
Tips for Application Success
- We are a startup and we move fast. Practical experience and the ability to think on your feet will be an advantage.
- Do you have a GitHub account with cool projects in it? Do not forget to mention it in your CV and wherever else possible! You do not want that to go unseen.
- Are you passionate about anything else outside of software? Let us know! It’s a great way to show us who you are.
At Komodo we can provide a unique environment where no two days will be the same, you'll be inspired to achieve the impossible and you're always guaranteed to have fun. This is a fantastic opportunity for a current student or graduate to step into a team where your creativity will be encouraged, there won't be a limit to the ownership and responsibility you can choose to take on and we'll support your growth at all times. For the right individuals there is also the opportunity to join the team on a permanent basis.